Hey guys! Guess what? I’ve got another delicious and incredibly simple recipe coming your way! I’ve probably mentioned this a million times but I am such a creature of habit. Once I make something I really enjoy–I pretty much consistently make it on repeat until I get absolutely sick of it. Great strategy, I know. Lately, that has been chicken tortilla soup and curry. I debated which recipe to share today but I think I’ve got the soup down to a science at this point so I figure that will be best to share! Nothing better than a hearty soup in the winter months, am I right?!
Believe it or not, I’ve been able to fit a good amount of kitchen gadgets in my very VERY tiny kitchen. My air fryer has honestly almost replaced my oven at this point and my instant pot gets a lot of attention too. You can certainly make this soup in a regular stock pot, dutch oven, whatever you have etc etc… but I am a big fan of the convenience of the instant pot. Literally throw everything in it and walk away haha it doesn’t get much better than that when you are super busy! plus my stove is seriously the worst….I am counting down the days until I have a gas stove again!! Also–keep in mind I very much enjoy spicy food..so don’t be afraid to alter this recipe to your preferred spice level!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pack of chicken tenderloins
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of diced hatch chiles, hot or mild
- 1 jalapeño, diced (seeded)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or puréed
- olive oil
- optional: cream cheese, greek yogurt
- toppings: cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese
- Turn instant pot on “sauté” or put a pot on medium heat and add in olive oil.
- Julienne onions and peppers. Mince the garlic and jalapeño.
- Using the salt and pepper, season both sides of the chicken and sauté until lightly browned. Set aside and add in the onions, peppers, garlic and jalapeño. Sauté.
- Add the chicken back in with the veggies and add in all of the spices. Sauté.
- Add in the black beans, tomatoes, chiles and mix together.
- Lastly, add in the chicken stock and lime juice.
- Cover the instant pot and set on manual for 15 minutes OR cover the stock pot on the stove and let cook for about 20 minutes on a medium heat. (Let the instant pot vent out all the steam before opening)
- If you prefer a creamier texture, add in the cream cheese or greek yogurt at the very end to avoid curdling and stir to combine.
- Additionally, top with chopped cilantro, cheese, and tortilla chips for added flavor!
Hope you enjoy!!
Until next time,