Hey guys! I hope everyone has been enjoying their summer! Seems like it has been going by at lighting speed, which means we are coming up on my final month of culinary school and my final months left in Lexington! It’s definitely a bittersweet feeling, I’ve loved it here for the 4+ years I’ve been here but I’m for sure ready for my next adventure, wherever that may be! Meanwhile in culinary school, we’ve been working on our final plates! For me, I’ve gotta figure out an appetizer, meat entree, and fruit dessert. Through my experimentation and personal experience, I have found that I really REALLY love arancini…which really shouldn’t come to any surprise for those who know me. I’m actually obsessed with making (and eating) risotto :) Traditionally, arancini is served with a marinara sauce but I decided to switch it up and pair it with a homemade romesco sauce (something I’ve never made before) and you know what? It actually turned out really delicious! You could say I’m just sticking with my italian roots ;)
For those who don’t know, arancini is essentially deep fried risotto….so I mean, what could really go wrong?! WELL, when I first made this, I forgot to make the risotto the day before (which you absolutely should do) so it was really difficult getting the right consistency to form them into balls and place in the fryer…..BUT, we made it happen!
****You can put whatever you’d like in your risotto, this just what I put it in this particular time!*****
Gluten Free Arancini
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3-3/12 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup diced leeks
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- minced garlic (as much as you’d like)
- blend of parmesan, pecorino romano, and asiago cheese (1/2 cup maybe)
- 1 oz dry white wine
- butter to finish (as much as you’d like)
- S&P to taste
- if using leftover risotto, you will need to add 1-2 eggs to the mixture—then forming into balls and tossing in rice flour)
- if you don’t have a deep fryer, heat a saucepan or dutch oven to 350 degrees and drop the arancini in until it forms a crispy golden crust!
- 2 fire roasted red bell peppers (you can buy in a jar or roast yourself over open flame—char and peel off skin)
- 1/2 cup tomato purée or sauce
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ~ 1/8 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- S&P to taste
- Process all ingredients in a food processor & add in your EVOO!
**OPTIONAL: chiffonade basil and grated parmesan for garnish!
Hope you all enjoy!