Helllllllo friends!! I’ve been meaning to get this out to you all sooner…but ya know, this thing called “life” kinda hit me in the face! I think if you take one look at my foodie insta, you’ll probably see a trend…and that would definitely be mexican food. tacos, nachos, taquitos, burrito bowls, i love it all and eat it quite frequently! However, when you’re trying to hit chipotle multiple times a week…it is sure to make your wallet cry! BUT good news y’all…I think I’ve made something that is just as good (if not better) than your average chipotle burrito bowl…plus WAY more budget friendly too :) Keep reading to see how I make it and how you can use it as your weekly meal prep, like I did!!!
Homemade Burrito Bowls
What you’ll need…
- 1 head of garlic
- 6 chicken breasts
- 3 green/red/yellow bell peppers
- 2 white onion
- 1 red onion
- 1 package of cilantro
- 1 package of grape tomatoes
- 2-3 cans black beans (I would recommend buying them in the can/or already precooked. If you wanna make dried beans (keep in mind, it is a lengthy process) I used this recipe: Cuban Black Beans)
- 3 packs of spanish style rice (I’d recommend the Seeds of Change brand)
- 1 package of cheese of choice, I used mozzarella BUT (queso fresco and cotija are mexican style cheeses that would taste even better!!)
- 2 limes
- 1 pack of romaine lettuce
- 2 avocados (If you are trying to keep these fresh throughout the week, squeeze some lemon juice on them)
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 cucumber
- your choice of seasonings (I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, paprika, fresh lime juice for the chicken marinade)
Where to begin!?
- Start by dicing up and marinating your chicken… ( Use the juice of 1 lime, 1-2 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons cayenne or ancho chile powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, add enough olive oil to coat the chicken — mix together and add to a resealable bag and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes)
- Prep ingredients for your salsa (Use 1/2 cucumber rough dice, 1 package of grape tomatoes, 1/2-1 small red onion cut into chunks, a handful of cilantro, 1 serrano (seeded, if you aren’t feelin too much spice) 2-3 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, juice of 1 lime…use your best judgement/own preference for the garlic, salt, and lime measurements) Place all ingredients into food processor and pulse until desired consistency— add a little olive oil if salsa is too dry and squeeze in desired amount of lime juice) Set aside in the fridge! ***TIP: You certainly do not have to use a food processor for this and leave it nice and chunky if you’d like !!!***
3.Julienne (long thin strips) 2 bell peppers and 1 white onion for your fajita vegetables. Sauté in avocado oil (high smoke point) until slightly tender. Add a little bit of minced garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.
4.If you are making the black beans from dried beans… follow the linked recipe and start this step FIRST!! If not, heat up your beans in a skillet with some oil (optional: add in some diced bell pepper and white onion for added flavor) and make sure to season slightly with salt and pepper
5.Additionally, heat up your already cooked spanish rice in a skillet with some oil too
6.Rough chop the romaine and use as the base for your burrito bowls
7.Take your chicken out of the fridge—cook in a skillet with avocado oil
8.Dice up an avocado and cilantro for garnish (add a squeeze of lime and a little bit of cheese to each bowl)
*** These ingredients made exactly 7 portions, perfect for a dinner meal prep for the week!! Assemble the ingredients however you’d like and place in tupperware containers for the week (Put salsa in a separate container) ***
Hope you all enjoy and give chipotle a run for it’s money ;) !!
Until next time,