How many of y’all prefer a savory meal over sweet?? That is 100% me. However, when I get that rare sweet craving, I definitely take full advantage of it. As most of you know, I am in culinary school and I just finished up my semester in baking. Baking has always been a huge struggle for me and I was honestly terrified to take that class. I’m the type that just throws things together, typically without recipe, and alters the taste as needed. Some may say creative, some may say chaos (lol) i like to think I’m creative! However, in baking, that kind of method does NOT fly…which I learned repeatedly over and over after messing up countless cakes, scones, and pies (sorry Chef) BUT it ended up being a ton of fun and I learned a whole lot. Back towards the beginning of class, we made these adorable tarts—-> (see below)
They were seriously so easy to make and I had a blast doing it and making them look all aesthetically pleasing (gotta do it for the gram, am i right?! ;)) So i had the idea to recreate and do my own thing—but this time: CHOCOLATE idk about y’all but I’m a chocolate girl through and through, get out of here with your key lime pie and lemon bars// if i’m going to have a dessert, it is going to be a rich and dark chocolatey goodness!! ALSO side note: If you haven’t tried almond milk, YOU NEED TO. I have been a skeptic about it for the longest time. not for really any particular reason ( I’m just weird about things lol) My go to coffee drink is just an iced black coffee (I know, I’m boring) I hate the taste of artificial sugar and really just overly sweet things in general…BUT one day at Starbs, I decided to just go for a little added almond milk to spice things up. It was truly a game changer, I don’t think I can order it without the almond milk now. The coffee combined with the almond taste is just a combo made in heaven!
So yes, that was the backstory on how the dark chocolate almond tarts were created!
On with the recipe… I apologize if these are not 100% accurate, as I said above, I’m not exactly a recipe kind of person ***
Dark Chocolate Almond Tarts
1/4 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
**generous spoonful (or two) of almond butter
1-2 Tbs coconut oil (melted with the chocolate chips)
1 cup Pamela’s Products nut flour blend
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
**dash of some kind of natural sweetener (agave, honey, maple syrup)
- Make the crust—combine the cup of nut flour with the melted coconut oil and sweetener and mix together in a bowl—- ( I used a muffin pan to make mini individual tarts— but you can certainly use a bigger dish or whatever you can find) Form them to the bottom of each. ***Do NOT forget to coat the individual tins with some kind of oil, so when you take them out they don’t stick to the pan***
- In a separate bowl, combine the chocolate chips, coconut oil (melted), almond milk and almond butter till it is a uniform mixture
- Pour the filing into each crusted muffin tin
- Add toppings (I used raspberries)
- Refrigerate for at least an hour
- ENJOY! They are honestly so good!